One of the reasons I hesitated to use widgets is because there are many useful plugins that aren’t widgets and demand that you add a snippet of code to your sidebar, something you can’t really do with widgets.
Well, now you can widgetize your sidebar and add both widgets and non-widget plugins to it with the Custom Functions Widgets plugin.
When activated, this plugin creates 20 empty widgets. To use one of them for a non-widget plugin, you drag one onto the sidebar, and then edit the widget’s options as follows:
- Give it a title.
- Name the function you want to call.
- Enter the arguments to pass.
- HTML to display before the output of the function
- HTML to display after the output of the function
- Option to hide the title of the widget (which you specified as Widget title) during the output
- Option to remove the default wrapper of the widget (as defined in
template.phpof your theme’s folder, for each sidebar)
- Close the widget options pop-up and click ‘Save Changes’
Now your sidebar can handle all types of plugins and widgets!